Wash Day!

!! It's the new product alert !! I spent about 15 minutes looking through the OGX shampoos in Boots to see if there was a ...

!! It's the new product alert !!


I spent about 15 minutes looking through the OGX shampoos in Boots to see if there was a sulphate free one only to find upon searching online that apparently the whole line is! I settled on Thick & Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo. The bottle is purple, which is my favourite colour, claims to thicken your hair and has things like hydrolysed proteins. I'm a sucker for all those things. I'm planning on this being my weekly shampoo when not clarifying.

How my braids look from a previous week (I know they look like twists but they're not!)

So after wearing my hair out for a few days in tucked styles, I went back to my milkmaid braids. For the rest of the week, I kept my hair like that, misting with Boots Coconut and Almond leave-in when necessary and layering the surface with hemp oil.

This week's products (minus coconut and olive oil)

[1] For this wash day (which started after I came home from a 9 hour shift at 7am...) I poured olive oil onto my hair (still in the braids) then rubbed some coconut oil on. To the touch, it didn't behave as well as EVOO for overnight oil treatments. Boo. 

Then I went to a well-deserved sleep! There's a showercap under the scarf

[2] Later in the afternoon, I detangled (finger then comb). Detangling is so easy when your hair hasn't been loose and able to tangle! I added some more coconut oil, rinsed and shampooed my hair with warm water. First impressions: great cleansing without stripping, lovely smell and purple!! colouring. It's a yes from me. There's a real difference between sulphate shampoos and sulphate free, even when you add conditioner to the former to try and make them less harsh.

[3] I then towel blotted and layered on my favourite Herbal Essences Bee Strong deep conditioner and olive oil. I left this for 1 hour under a shower cap and towel then rinsed. Another finished tub! I'll now move on to Beautiful Ends, the last of the trio of near-identical (in ingredients) Herbal Essences deep conditioners I've found.

[4] I tshirt dried for around an hour then sprayed a little of my Lee Stafford Miracle Heat Defence Spray as I've noticed that my hairdryer seems to not be wanting to do cool air recently. It's basically lukewarm at the moment but that's still heat! I then split my hair into 4 and sprayed each section with my Boots leave in and added hemp oil. I then mixed together some Shockwaves Ultra Strong Tuff Stuff gel and Darcy's Botanicals Hawaiian Frangipani Curl Detangling Milk and rubbed some into each half of my head (split vertically).


I let my hair finish airdrying in two bantu knots (well, that's stretching the definition a tad. They were more like lazy knots) overnight and got this as a result:

I'm a poodle

I did the knots a little too high and so the back of my head didn't curl. Ah well, just pinned it up like I always do!  What do you think? Comparable to last week's results? I think they'll look better on the second day when they've dropped a bit. Way more hold this time round though, so it's a win in my book.
http://www.savingourstrands.com
this #washdayexperience was brought to you by the colour ~purple~
Lam xx

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Okay Lam, so I am definitely going to have to try YOUR bantu knot technique especially after your results! Only two bantu knots means I won't have a hard time sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to find something I read the other day, but apparently bantu knots work best on finer hair, which could be why I don't need so many to get a good result! I'd love to see how you get on, it's soo much more comfy to sleep with two.

      Delete
  2. I like how your bantu knots turned out. I haven't been able to get it to work out. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bantu knots turned out cute. I wish i would achieve such kind of curls with just two knots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it out some time :) Everyone's got their own way of doing styles though and you may get fantastic results another way.

      Delete
  4. TWO Bantu knots...

    JUST TWO...

    Girl...that's what I call working smarter instead of harder! I need to get on your level! Is Boots Coconut and Almond leave-in what you would consider a light moisturizer? Does it make your roots revert?

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you KLP :) Yes, it's a light watery leave-in so I don't apply it to my roots (but even so, they slowly revert over the week).

      Delete
  5. I'm with everyone else...just two knots? You have amazing skill.

    ReplyDelete